Monday, September 25, 2017

An Informal Sea Trial

We took Autarkia out for a little trip down the river yesterday with our friends Tom and Julia.  Julia is recovering from a severely broken ankle yet did quite well getting around the boat.  Autarkia's large foredeck was a hit!

A points about performance:  She is slow and heavy so takes a little while to respond to the helm.  That said she'll turn quite sharply due to the OCB.  I could get her up to hull speed with the motor revved up to 4000 RPM, but we found that cruising at 2800 - 3000 RPM was a nice compromise for noise and speed.  At that power setting we did 3.5 KTS going upstream against a 1-2 KT current (it varies, and is slower this time of year).  Downstream of course, was a very respectable pace.  Getting to Vancouver in a day would be easy I think.

If I got her pointing straight enough I found that I could leave the helm for minutes at a time and she would keep course.  The foredeck is so pleasant a space, and quiet (you can't hear the engine up here) that I am already thinking of a forward steering station of sorts.  Another future project for the pile - and it's pretty high already.

We were out for the whole afternoon and the engine ran the whole time except for a little stop when we tied up to a log boom for snacks.  We used about 6 litres of gas.  I am very impressed with the Evinrude E-tec 30 HP.


At the Helm





Looking Upstream Towards the Mission Rail Bridge


Municipality - "Not Our Responsibility" Province of BC - "Not our Responsibility" Federal Government - "What mess?"


Getting Snacks


Look Ma - No Hands!



Grape Juice From Tom and Julia's Garden Mixed With Club Soda


A Typical Fraser River Saw Mill



Another Eyesore


Derelict Queen of Sidney 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney-class_ferry



More Mess






Lot's of Gravel Barges


3 comments:

  1. Alan,

    First off, I'm glad to see you doing some sea trials. I need to do the same. We need to be prepared when we head off as a great barge flotilla for Southeast Alaska. It's only 800 miles, but just because its close, don't think its easy.

    Second, I find the floating "mess" very rich and interesting. Granted, it's not what I see from my front porch, but as riverside scenery, it looks fun. I just wish the authorities were as tolerant of people building boats in their yard as they are of floating derelicts.

    Thirdly, Lorri came out really well in these pictures. You really married up!

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That ferry almost broke loose a couple of years ago during freshet. The government did step in and secure it with those pilings at significant cost to the taxpayer. Yet, the ferry is still owned privately as scrap. I don't know if the costs were ever recovered. Had it broken loose it would have sailed downstream on its way to Vancouver at about 6 knots. Would have been pretty hard to catch I would think.

      Yes, I certainly did marry up! Thanks for the compliment, and for making Lorri blush :-)

      Delete
    2. That ferry almost broke loose a couple of years ago during freshet. The government did step in and secure it with those pilings at significant cost to the taxpayer. Yet, the ferry is still owned privately as scrap. I don't know if the costs were ever recovered. Had it broken loose it would have sailed downstream on its way to Vancouver at about 6 knots. Would have been pretty hard to catch I would think.

      Yes, I certainly did marry up! Thanks for the compliment, and for making Lorri blush :-)

      Delete