Wednesday, June 21, 2017

More on the Off Center Board

Work on the board continues albeit in bits and bites.  It has been one of those jobs that has dragged on since starting last winter.  Just as a recap, and so you don't have to refer to older posts, Autarkia's off center board will be a single board, as opposed to lee boards that wing out, thereby needing one on each side for either tack.  This board will bear the lateral loads in either direction for either tack.

Because I had a lot of structural fir 2 by 4s I decided to laminate the board from those.




I glued them up with PL premium and used epoxied deck screws to hold them all together.  The board overall was 8 feet long and 2 feet wide.






I achieved the foil shape by rough shaping each individual piece with the table saw, and once glued up final shaping with a power plane and belt sander.


For a leading edge, and for ballast, I epoxied in a length of 1-1/2 inch mild steel bar stock.

I didn't do anything else to it until recently so here is where we pick up.



I fiberglassed the whole thing with epoxy and 10 oz cloth, doubling on the edges.  I made a steel bearing plate for the outboard side, epoxied it in along with galvanized lag bolts, coated the whole thing with more epoxy and painted it.  The pivot bolt is 3/4 inch diameter.


I am in the process of painting it now.

Here is how it will mount to the starboard side of the boat.


Once I have made a final determination of where exactly along the side the board will be mounted, I will install the reinforcement on the inside of the hull.  That consists of 3" by 3/16" steel angle about a foot long, that will be through bolted to the paired 2 by fours under it.  The pivot bolt I already have installed on the board was longer than I needed, so I will make spacers with some HDPE I have.

Since The upper part of the board will bear against the rub rail I will make a bearing plate from some more HDPE that I will fasten to the rub rail with bedding and counter sunk screws.  The lower part of the board that bears against the chine will be made with some Teflon I have, and will be bolted to the board itself.

I will make some spacers from HDPE to go between the board and the hull.  When I drill the hole through the hull, I'll coat it with epoxy.

The board has holes drilled and coated on the leading and trailing edges at the bottom to accept lift and downhaul lines.

If I make a rudder, I will likely use the same technique, although I'm going to experiment with a steering oar first.

And now for something completely different - our new fridge!


We bought this fridge from Costco online.  It is Canadian made, runs on 12DC and when running typically consumes about 33 watts.  It has two compartments - one larger and one smaller (compressor is underneath) for a total of 2.4 cubic feet.  Either compartment can be run as a fridge or a freezer or both as one or the other.  We've had it in for a week now, and the solar panels and deep cycle battery are doing just fine with it.  And we haven't had that much sun!


Lorri is pleased

5 comments:

  1. Starting to look very cosy there, especially with the firebox nicely set up. I like the looks of that little fridge, too.

    I've been thinking of installing a cheap bidet seat (non-electric, cold water) on my toilet and I got to wondering about the feasibility of using one in a boat or other self-contained living quarters. Possibly plumbed for seawater? Maybe using a handheld sprayer instead of a seat nozzle? Many users say that after trying a bidet, they would never want to go back.

    It seems that both bidet seats and composting toilets are both gaining in popularity (and handheld sprays are already marketed to both Muslim and disabled households), but I don't know if the two devices are at all compatible. Aside from cleanliness, one advantage of a bidet is the lessened need for wiping material and for flushing such, but I suppose that with a composting toilet your concerns are somewhat reversed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paintedjaguar! I never thought about a bidet but that's a great idea. Might be hard to retrofit in our case though. Nonetheless, could be a future project...

      Delete
    2. The most practical bidet solution for your composting rig would probably be a hand pressurized garden sprayer with a modified wand attachment on the hose. One could just position oneself over the urine collection bowl and spray away, although you might need to install a deeper or larger bowl to minimize backsplash.

      Also, the movable toilet seat you were talking about using should be the horseshoe type with a slotted front to sllow easy insertion and manipulation of the wand while seated. Then construct some kind of holder on the side of the toilet box for the pressure tank to sit in and I think you'd be all set.

      Delete
    3. Thank-you again Paintedjaguar! We're giving it a good think...

      Delete
    4. Now that I've thought some about garden sprayers, I may just give that a try before taking the trouble to install a bidet rig under my toilet seat. It occurred to me that one could even get a little fancy with a manual sprayer - scented or soapy water in the pressure tank...

      Delete