Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A DIY 12 Volt Light Fixture

Here is a simple 12 volt light fixture that is suitable for reading and task lighting.  I prototyped this one together with a 12 volt LED MR16 bulb, bought at Home Depot for around $16 Cdn, along with a 1/2 inch pipe flange, and a 1/2 inch 45 degree fitting.  This makes a pretty nice fixture for well under $25.  I'm thinking we'll mask off the bulb end and spray paint the whole thing.  The bulb sticks into the pipe fitting and holds well under friction, but I may use a bit of epoxy when I make them up.  The power draw is about 5 watts, and it provides the equivalent of 35 watts of light.  Not too cool at 3000 Kelvin... I guess I'll make up 6 or 7 of them.

I owe the idea of making fixtures with pipe fittings to Merlyn Horton, builder of a tiny home called Merlyn's Grace.



Pretty funky looking if I do say so myself!

8 comments:

  1. I like it. Looks very industrial. As a side note, I am also an Industrial Electrician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Dennis! I did a fair bit of electrical QC at some of the oil projects in AB.

      Delete
    2. Yes, very funky looking and extremely rustic. Lots of great DIY crafty posts lately from Dave Zeigers shelving post to Dmitry Orlovs new lugsail sheeting system to your way cool fixture.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Robert! All fun stuff now...

      Delete