Saturday, October 8, 2016

Racing the Clock in the Pissing Rain


Since my last post I have managed to install deck cleats, have started the hatch coamings, and have almost finished painting the railings and cabin top grab rails.  That leaves finishing the hatches, installing the rails, painting the bottom and the biggie - building a rudder.  All before October 19th.  Oh and I'm still waiting for a quote from the insurance company.

I may have to build only the rudder attachment post on the boat per Tad Robert's drawing, and then cobble together a temporary rudder to maneuver the boat for the time being, as she must be moved according to this:


So as I was fretting away over this earlier this week, I began to experience discomfort in my chest.

If you have followed this blog for some time you may recall Lorri had a similar experience that we may or may not have gone to the hospital for.  Thankfully we did and it resulted in a quintuple bypass heart operation.  So given that experience we did not want to take a chance and went to emergency.

So next week, I have to turn my attentions away from the bullying I am getting from a neighbour, aided and abetted by a very conformist system that completely agrees with him - but won't admit their prejudice - and have what's called a Holter heart monitor installed for a 24 hour period, followed by a treadmill stress test.

As I write this, I am experiencing the same discomfort.  I am hoping it is only a physical reaction to my absolute anger and distress over the whole shitbag, and that these symptoms will go away when the pressure is off.

I did spend some money to talk to a lawyer who agreed that this was unfair and discriminatory.  But I would be putting at financial risk other family members so I have backed down.  While paying my bill to his office manager I expressed to her my opinion that we have rights to fair treatment under the law.

She summed it up quite succinctly.  "It depends on who you are."

7 comments:

  1. Hey Alan,

    Just catching up... take a deep breath, Buddy! You are doing a wonderful job on AUTARKIA, and have every reason to be proud and happy.

    If you can, try to remember that we build these things to sail AWAY from all this. You're doing exactly that. Eyes on the the horizon help with mal de mer, as it were!

    As injustice in this world goes, this 'civil' BS rates as 'the small stuff'. We've got to 'not sweat it' long enough to get out of Dodge.

    So breath, let go, take it easy... and when that tide comes risin', hoist sail and slip away!

    Be thinkin' of ya.

    Dave Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rules only applied to people who couldn’t afford different rules.
    -- Cameron Stracher, author, “The Water Wars”

    -----------

    I mostly agree with Dave. Of course, right? Cause Dave is, well, Dave! No, seriously, I really do. Excellent advice.

    Mostly: There is a part of me, deep in my DNA, that really balks at letting people get away with unfair things, be they unseen neighbors, government workers, or total strangers. I'm not sure if the world is any better off because I have that trait. In some small instances, yeah, maybe. But I can say one thing for certain:

    _I_ am not better off for it.

    Keep your eye on the ball, and remember the wise words of a short, pointy-earred Jedi master: "Do or do not; there is no try."

    Yoda


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave and Yoda for the encouragement. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the upcoming launch, med tests and dealing with bureaucracy. With a motor and a basic rudder you can get it launched and motor to a safe location, or see if a friend can tow it to your destination. It is snowing here in Alberta, so at least you don't have to deal with that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis. The rules of the harbour dictate that the boat must be mobile under her own power so towing is not an option. So it's work, work, work for me until launch. Sorry about the snow :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm with Capt. Zeiger too.... in 6 months such cretinoids will be ancient memories. You'll be ensconced in the wondrous healing environment of stark, raw, beautiful nature and in tune with the elements. And out of tune with bureaucratic buffoonery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert...gotcha, eyes on the horizon!

      Delete