Friday, September 2, 2016

Windows

Painting is on hold for the next week or so due to rainy weather.  It should go fast though once it clears up since I have the cabin top and sides quite smooth now.

But since it was pissing out I got to work on the windows.  I spent the day cutting and drilling aluminum.

Some time ago I had 1/4" tempered glass panels made up.  They are 1/2" bigger all around than the cut outs in the cabin sides.  In the photo below you can see how I will have 3/4" x 1/4" aluminum bar surrounding the glass.  I have spaced 1/8" clearance around the perimeter to allow room for sealant - possibly butyl tape but I'm not completely decided.


Then 1/8" x 1-1/2" aluminum bar is used for a retainer as seen below.


The screw holes are only pilot drilled at this point.  They will be enlarged and counter sunk later to accept stainless steel wood screws.  Of course everything will be bedded in sealant.

I'm not decided yet whether to leave the aluminum bare, or to paint them the same colour as the cabin sides.

Also, today I received these port lights I found on Ebay.  Even used they were not cheap, but they are in excellent condition.  My son has a friend with a vapour blaster who will be cleaning them up for me.  He has done these before and says they will look like the day they came out of the foundry.



They will provide a standing view forward, as well as ventilation in the aft cabin area.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful portlights and way shippy looking. Launching from the driveway soon it seems? Into the water or another hard location? Please consider shooting some video of how she sails once in the water with your particular beam-length ratio and rig. I am curious what a slightly rockered bottom would do for a trilo. A scandinavian guy built barge proa models and lake tested them and his slightly rockered model was much, much faster than his same dimensions trilo box version with same float and rig. Who knows? Peace be wid yas on your build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. I need to get the paint done, then windows, hatches, motor and rudder before launch. It may be soon with another stretch of clear weather. It will be a while after that to get her rig all sorted out though. I hope I can keep her home as long as possible because having to work on her elsewhere will slow me down a lot.

      Delete
    2. Soooooo nice to have it in the yard. I had those conditions on my 37 footer and countless hours add up in 30 minute or so spurts.

      Delete