Monday, September 26, 2016

Update From Behind the Scenes

I'm smack in the middle of a two week teaching gig over at UFV in Abbotsford so there has been little time to work directly on Autarkia.  Still, being in an aircraft hangar with all the tools and equipment available to do aircraft structural work, has given me an opportunity to do a few 'government' jobs.  So far I have been able to make an opening plexi window for over the sink, and a heat shield for the wood stove.

Mostly though, in the evenings we have been sitting aboard discussing our final plans for the interior.  Such things as where the water tanks will go, a dinette settee, table configuration and so forth.  One thing that is almost carved in stone so far is the sleeping platform - I hesitate to call it a berth - in the central cabin.  We will use two store bought twin mattresses to form a king size sleeping platform that extends under the side deck.  This, along with pillows (or stuff sacks) a large platform on which to lounge, relax, read and of course, sleep.  Because of the size, one can sleep fore and aft, or for Lorri anyway - athwartships.  Room for grandkids too, at least in their pre-teen years.

My next job - to be blogged and started some time next week, is to build the hatches.  She will then be weather-tight and the tarps can come off.




Also, I got some decals in the mail last week.  I messed up one of the license number decals that go on either bow so I'll have re-order it, but the rest went on quite well.


6 comments:

  1. Onward, brave soul. Looking good!

    Yoda

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's looking fantastic. Purple deck paint was a brave choice, but purple & green are a often seen combination so I think it works wonderfully.

    Loving the updates.
    Jon
    www.sailing-free.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Purple deck paint was a brave choice, but purple & green are a often seen combination so I think it works wonderfully."

      (For Al) See, I told you it was purple!! Just give up and call her your sweet, nautical eggplant! hahaha

      Yoda

      Delete
    2. It's not purple. The can says charcoal! I'll admit though, in the right light it does look purplISH... Anyway, from now on I'll say that the colour was inspired by kelp :-)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jon! Glad to know that you are following too!

      Delete