Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Update

It's been raining this week and I've been doing some relief support and teaching with the Aircraft Structures Program at University of the Fraser Valley.  It has given me a bit of time however, to think about my rig some more.

Up to now I'm fairly committed to using stayed masts made from schedule 40 aluminum pipe.  They will be easy to raise and lower, since the pipe diameter can be much smaller than what would be required for an un-stayed rig.

Upon kicking it around some more I have come up with a low aspect schooner rig that will allow the use of 20' lengths of pipe without having to extend them to any large degree.  I can likely get away with 3.5 inch diameter for the main and 3 inch for the fore mast.  Including a jib the total sail area would be just under 500 s.f.  Synthetic material for the stays instead of steel will further keep the weight down, and the sails are small enough and light enough to not need a winch.



In the meantime, we are thinking about interior layout and fit out.  We bought a nice sink on the weekend and are probably getting a stove soon as well.  I've been doing some research on plastic water tanks; I'll probably use two of them about 35 gallons each, and will plumb them with a cross connect, pex pipe and a foot operated gusher pump for the galley.  The sink will be on the centerline of the boat so I'll tee the drain to drain out either side above the waterline.  The hull will be a dark colour in this area - maybe even black - so it should not look too disgusting.  It's a galley sink after all - not a head.

I've also been thinking about rudder and leeboards.  I'm probably going to put in wheel steering but it will be super simple - details will be in an upcoming post.  The rudder hinges (to steer and to flip up) will be rope and as Dave Zeiger pointed out, reliable and quiet.  Leeboards will be hung off gunwales some how so I can adjust their position, and I'm trying to figure out a way of a lashed attachment along the lines of the rudder hinges.  That's for my daydreaming time today...

4 comments:

  1. Interesting update.

    Regarding the rudder hinge, on a past video of Dave Z's, I saw what I consider to be an upgrade to the rope hinge -- fire hose/tow strap hinge. You've probably seen this one, but worth taking a look and listening to his story about the rope rudder hinge if not:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkGdPJ6p3Io

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not seen that. Thanks Yoda. Nor did I know that Dave had some other vids up that I quite enjoyed. BTW I daydreamed up my leeboard arrangement today. I will draw it up and make a post soon. And thanks to Dave! I know that you'll get around to seeing this. I did not know about the epoxy in the holes - I'll defer to your hindsight :-)

      Delete
  2. IMHO: intuitively the rig looks too small with not enough area. Given your length to beam ratio you will need a lot of sail area for days when ghosting is the norm. Nice to be able to fly a lot of wind engine in those times. XXXX Lunas lashed on rudder was going strong when we bought her from Dave and the only reason I replaced it with metal hardware later was convenience (I moved it off center). Bolger had the flemish arrangement rope wise for leeboards and seemed to work OK. Looking good and quite the evolution so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. It is a bit gutless at 500 s.f. for around 10,000 lbs displacement. That gives a sail area/displacement ratio of around 16 which is heavy cruiser/motorsailer territory. I'm not sure where to go from here to get more sail area - higher masts and taller rig? But then heavier and harder to raise and lower for the bridges... I have to decide what to trade off..

      Delete