Saturday, June 25, 2016

Next Step

I'm really close to building the cabin sides and roof.  The deck has been planked - first with 1/2 inch fir ply and then a second layer of 3/8 inch fir for a total deck thickness of 7/8".  It has a really solid feel under your feet!  I've also softened the edges on the rub rails with a router and belt sander - looks pretty good.




But before proceeding with the cabin, I will probably glass the deck - still thinking fiberglass cloth set in Titebond 3 - and once that is done get some paint on her.  Since the hull is epoxy/fiberglassed I think it is important to get it protected from UV ASAP.  I won't do the all of the bottom paint yet but I can do the sides and transoms.   I still have to decide if I want to paint any curves on the hull, or just embrace the squareness.

I am thinking of using 3/4 inch MDO sign board for the cabin sides.  I would put the paper face on the inside because that will paint up nice, and the outside will be fiberglassed anyway.

I will install the sides, front and back first, by gluing with PL Premium and using galvanized carriage bolts through the inside rails.  Later angled cant strips will make the transition from cabin sides to deck.


Then I can install framing and roof beams (probably sawn instead of laminated), and around the same time finish up the bulkheads by cutting away the doorways and carrying them up to the roof beams.

I will laminate the roof with layers of 1/4 inch ply.  Probably pine with a nice face for the interior, followed by a couple of layers of fir.  I'll glue it with Titebond 3 and fasten with Raptor nails.

Window cutouts will be next, along with hatch cutouts and framing.  Then glass, and paint.

In the meantime, I ordered two 32 gallon plastic water tanks.  They will go in the exact center of the boat and will be cross connected with a tee.  I ordered them with nice big covers that are vented, and that will allow easy cleaning of the tanks.  We also bought a SS sink last week.  It's nicer than the sinks in any house I've ever lived in.  Gotta have some luxury!

2 comments:

  1. I agree -- looks pretty good.

    1. What is the vertical distance from the top of the deck (as is) to the bottom of the hull? I got the idea it was 4' to match the plywood sheet width, but it looks less than that in the photos. Very sleek appearance.

    2. Do you have any concern about using raptor nails on a surface that will receive the most direct sunlight? Just wondering about the nail plastic becoming unstable, etc.

    Please take photos of the details of connecting any vertical piece to the existing boat framing, and of course, other details of roofing, bulkheads, etc. Looking forward to seeing those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vertical height from the bottom to the deck is 36 inches. The Raptor nails are well buried into the wood, plus they'll have fiberglass and paint over them so we should be good UV wise. Pictures for sure Yoda, and thanks for comment!

      Delete