Sunday, May 1, 2016

Now That She's Upright

I'll likely be bringing Autarkia home in a couple of days and getting her leveled up in the driveway.

Since she's been right side up though I have had a rethink on how I may finish her.  Previously I had drawn her with a cavernous interior that would be pretty cool no doubt, but at a compromise now that I think about it with regard to the exterior function of the boat.

So I got going again with Sketch Up and re drew her with a walk around cabin.


To keep the lines aesthetically pleasing I had to lower the trunk cabin, but kept it high enough for standing headroom in the galley.  I still get a commodious interior with a queen size berth forward, a lounge with settee and dinette, and a large functional galley area with enclosed head and a hidden 'bath tub' under a counter or chart table.

This would go together quite quickly.  Since the trunk is eight feet wide, full sheets of plywood could be used here, and the roof could be a ply/foam sandwich - very strong and no beams inside.  Views to the outside are still accommodated with large, sitting eye level windows.  The only downside is that moving about the forward cabin will be in a crouched position.  But we are only sleeping or sitting in this area.  We have total standing comfort where it counts.  I have also decided to make provisions to steer the boat from inside the cabin as well as outside.

Both Lorri and I prefer the looks of this boat over Autarkia's original design


Here is a very crude and un-detailed conceptual drawing of the interior.  I can make the queen size berth for and aft oriented and have access to it from the side rather than the foot as previously drawn.  For the most part I can work with the existing bulkheads as built, cutting them down as required.  The fore, aft and side decks will all be a monolithic structure and will stiffen the boat immensely.

One other advantage of the side decks is that we will now be able to pole her along in water too shallow for the outboard auxiliary.

8 comments:

  1. If you put an arch in the cabin roof, you may be able to get back standing head room down the centerline. It's hard to tell exact heights and I don't know how tall you or your wife are, of course. How does this affect mounting of lee boards? The hull looks good so far, enjoying your build info as it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis.

      I drew it that way as well...just didn't look right. It was still too high and ungainly. Personally I'm kind of liking the square lines with the low cabin. The leeboards won't be affected from what I've got in mind. I'll post more on this later but I'm considering four leeboards right now. All four will be foil shaped with a high aspect ratio. They would each have six or seven s.f. of board in the water, and with all four adjustable I can have a lot of flexibility in balancing the boat.

      Delete
  2. Bulkheads: Cut them down? Wow. I thought they were short already. :/

    Bath: I'd like to hear more about your hidden bathtub design.

    I also like the look of this new boat design more. There may be a clear reason why that is. It looks very much like what I've been designing for myself! :) At the moment, I think I'm going to live with a taller superstructure to get the interior headroom I want. Planning steering from inside as well.

    I've also gone back and forth about the walk-around design on deck. At the moment, though I hate sacrificing the interior space, I'm thinking I'll have the walk-around also. I'd be interested to hear Dave Z's take on living aboard without the walk-around feature.

    As for leeboards, the jury's still out. I really don't like the idea of messing with boards on the sides that can also block windows. My only potential alternative at present is just an idea. I've been wondering if a bow-mounted, retractable centerboard, combined with a larger rudder in its normal spot, could provide sufficient lateral resistance. Won't know until I dig into the formulas I guess. At least it would be a more or less symmetrical design, and one that preserves shoal draft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd only be cutting the bulkheads down to accommodate the side decks at 3 ft up from the bottom.

    I once kicked around the idea of a bow mounted board but mounted outboard like a rudder. Problem was I couldn't figure a way for it to hit things and absorb or deflect the shock. If there was a way to do though it would be kind of neat. In any case, leeboards on this design would not get in the way of the windows. I'll draw it up soon...

    The bath is really just a sit down shower tub with a flip up counter top over it. You can hinge up the work surface to shower, or han wet gear up over it to drain. I would have a sump with a gusher pump to empty it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the birdwatcher design.
    Harder to fall out of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you plan to cover this in an upcoming post about the quadrapod mast. If so, waiting until then is fine. I noticed that your two-mast ketch design has become a one-mast something-else design. Thinking on that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm kicking around a single unstayed mast again, set in a tabernacle as per my original plan. I can leave the option of a future mizzen open. I had enough feedback outside of the blog to abandon the quadrapod idea. There were simply not enough advantages to outweigh the disadvantages such as drag, noise (apparenty they can howl with the wind) and the possibility of damage to the rig by virtue of interfering with the yard and boom - especially if things get out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've reconsidered Dennis's suggestion with arching the roof...drew it up and putzed with the dimensions. Looks good. I'll post it later on...

    ReplyDelete