Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Outboard Motors Part Two

I am a consummate tinkerer and love building, designing and inventing things.  The video below has me completely inspired for an ultimate drive system for Autarkia.  However, she must be built first and I have lots of work to do to get to that point.

In that regard, I will be buying a used 2 stroke 20 h.p. outboard to power her - for the time being. 

So, within the hour I will be heading back up to the hull to continue planking.  She's coming along pretty good though.



And here's a really cool video along the lines of what I'd do.  What with the availability of dead outboards around here to cannibalize, and the availability of surplus dc motors, my tinkering ability, electrical skills, and some interesting stuff I already have in my various junk boxes....this is something I'll be working on!


4 comments:

  1. Glen-L marine has similar plans using a old lower unit and large electric motor mounted on top. Fun to play with a much less complicated than those ultra complicated yulohs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have a yuloh too! But when the Fraser boogies the yuloh will only get you to one bank or the other...significantly downstream! I'll check out the Glen-L website for that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan,

    If you happen to find the Glen-L plans, please post the link here in comments. Thanks.

    Yoda

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/electricdrive.html

    ReplyDelete